Category Archives: Community

September 12: International Crochet Day

So, September 12 is International Crochet Day! Not sure how this was decided, but it is just fine with me. How can you celebrate the day? Go crochet in public by taking your latest project to the bookstore, library or coffeehouse and crochet, teach someone a new stitch, donate a crochet book to your local library – the possibilities are endless! Another great way is to crochet an item and donate it to a local organization. Make chemo caps for your local hospital or children’s blankets for a children’s group in need. One of the best ways to share your passion for crochet is to make something for someone else.

Obviously I don’t have to tell all of you how much I love crochet! I would love to hear from all of you how you plan to celebrate the day!

Happy crocheting!!!!

Ravelympics Kicks Off!

Last night was not just the kickoff of the Olympics in China. It was also the kickoff of Ravelympics 2008 on Ravelry! What is Ravelympics you ask? It is a challenge to complete a knit or crochet project during the 17 days of the Olympics. I am on Team Freeformatins and will be working on a freeform hat.

If you want to join in on the fun, sign up for Ravelry and check it out

For The Love of Ravelry

If you aren’t familiar with a relatively new online community called Ravelry, I highly recommend you check it out!

Ravelry is a great online location for you to meet other fans of fiber, check out and purchase the latest patterns and join discussion groups about various fiber-related topics. I have been a member for awhile now, but only recently started to delve deeper into all the features Ravelry contains.

I currently belong to 16 groups that cover everything from free form crochet to technical spinning to spool knitting. I have in just the last few days, I started to check out the online repository of patterns.

Site owners Jessica and Casey are doing a great job listening to the current users about suggestions and improvements and the community is growing daily!

In order to control stress on their servers, Jessica and Casey are extending invites in groups. Simply sign up for a user ID and you’ll be connected as soon as they send out your invite. Trust me, it is worth the wait!

If you haven’t checked it out yet, I suggest you log on. If you already have, I would love to hear your thoughts!

You can log on to Ravlery by clicking here.